Families Change
Parent Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here

What if our situation changes?

Previous Next

Can we change a child support agreement or court order?

The court understands that things change. One parent may lose a job or get a big raise. Health insurance factors may shift.  These are just a couple of typical examples of changes that could call for a modification (change) of the child support order. VTLawHelp.org has information about when you can change a child support order.

Go to the Vermont Judiciary site to read about how to prepare and file a Motion to Modify a Child Support Order.

The forms to file a motion to change a child support order are online.

You can get help filling out the forms online through the CourtFormPrep program.

The Office of Child Support can also help you with changing a child support order or doing a child support review. You can contact them at 1-800-786-3214.

If you have questions about child support, and you have a low income, you can also call Legal Services Vermont at 1-800-889-2047.


What happens if I receive child support and then get remarried?

If you remarry, the income of the new spouse does not generally affect the amount of child support. Either parent’s new spouse’s income is generally not considered when determining the amount of child support.


What happens if I pay child support and then have a second family?

If you are the paying parent and have a new family to support, you are still required to support your other children. However, sometimes the court may lower the amount of child support you must pay. If you are already paying court ordered support for other children, this factors into the calculation.