You have a lot on your plate with your divorce or separation. You might be worried about money, moving, and other problems. It’s easy to get lost in these problems and lose track of your responsibilities to your children. If you can keep these responsibilities in mind, it will help you make better decisions about your children.
Your responsibilities as a parent are to:
- Take care of your children and keep them safe, even if you don’t live with them.
- Make sure your kids spend time with both parents and other important people in their lives.
- Listen to your children, even if you can't always do what they want.
- Answer your kids’ questions about money, where they are going to live, and other concerns.
- Talk to the other parent with respect, especially in front of the children.
- Talk to the other parent about what’s going on with your children.
- Get help if you think your child is being abused or neglected.